12 Hygge Quotes
Hygge (pronounced “hue-gah”) is a Danish word used to describe the wonderful feeling of enjoying something and being completely enveloped in the experience – like being wrapped up in a cozy blanket. Hygge is about creating a warm, comforting environment and enjoying the good, simple things in life with those you care about. Hygge encourages you to slow down, simplify, and be present. It has been suggested that these positive ways of experiencing the world might help to explain why Nordic countries score so highly in happiness rankings.
The hygge lifestyle was introduced in the US a few years ago and gained overwhelming adoption. And why wouldn’t it? At its core, hygge is all about nurturing your heart and soul, alone or with friends, and feeling completely safe and comfortable.
Most of the hygge quotes listed don’t use the actual term hygge, but they all center on the elements of what makes for a happy and cozy life. They are reminders of the magic that awaits when you live in the moment and embrace life’s everyday pleasures.
- “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
- “Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.” – Princess Diana
- “I like canceled plans. And empty bookstores. I like rainy days and thunderstorms. And quiet coffee shops. I like messy beds and over-worn pajamas. Most of all, I like the small joys that a simple life brings.” – Unknown
- “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” – Anne Lamott
- “Look closely. The beautiful may be small.” – Immanuel Kant
- “It was sunsets that taught me that beauty sometimes only lasts for a couple of moments, and it was sunrises that showed me that all it takes is patience to experience it all over again.” – A.J. Lawless
- “I love how summer just wraps its arms around you like a warm blanket.” — Kellie Elmore
- “Take your time getting dressed this morning; read a book, make yourself some breakfast. The world can wait.” – Whitney Nobis
- “Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go.” – Unknown
- “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort”– Jane Austen
- “Be present in all things, and thankful for all things.” - Maya Angelou
- “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand, and for a talk beside the fire: it is time for home.” – Edith Sitwell
Sometimes we forget how little we need to live a good life. Take time to create an environment that gives you peace and joy, to experience the things you love, and allow for more enjoyable moments throughout your day. Hygge is a lifestyle that is good for us because it supports our need for happy, cozy moments. Find out why we believe hygge is the best lifestyle choice ever.